Simple SEO Tips for Your Business
Sometimes working toward search engine optimization can feel like a game without any rules. Business owners must practice a balancing act between key word stuffing and being accused of spam or staying at the bottom of the search engine rankings. The same problem exists with linking. While linking is vital to reaching the top page in search engine results, too much linking or the wrong links can be detrimental. Businesses should consider the following simple SEO tips to boost their website’s rankings:
Concentrate on the Right Key Words
Common key words may provide a starting place for optimization, but business owners need to go beyond the most popular terms currently on the popular search engines. One good idea is to play the “what if” game. While sitting at the computer, write down all of the words that might lead a local customer to your business. Write these and any related words down to use in the following manner:
• Place key words in all of the titles.
• Put key words into the URL’s of the site.
• Intersperse key words throughout all site content where it makes sense to the reader (do not force key words where it does not sound natural).
• Use key words in the labeling of all images on the site.
Keep Identifying Business Information Prominent
Search engine users want to find all of the information that they need as quickly as possible and will usually make a choice from among the first three or four listings on the page. If you want traffic to pick up and sales to boom, it is imperative that you make your business easy to find. These ideas may be helpful in achieving a higher search engine ranking:
• Claim your business listing by signing up to Google Places, Bing Local and Yahoo Local.
• Call the reader’s attention to a local phone listing.
• Put the business mailing address on each page of the site.
• Place pictures of the establishment on the site to help patrons identify the locale.
• Consider including a site map online or a map to your physical location.
Let Others Make You Popular
Business owners can only do so much to rise in the search engine rankings, but fellow business associates and even loyal customers can help. Be sure that your business is employing the following practices to entice local clients:
• Establish an interesting blog, not only to provide timely company information, but also to encourage customer responses so that they want to return to the conversation.
• Swap out with other good businesses and include links to each other’s businesses.
• Use social media sites to promote your business and start discussions.
• Provide several avenues for customers to give reviews of your business and post them online; even if some are uninspired, they make your business real to internet users and search engines.
Business owners who refuse to work on their search engine rankings will find that they are not getting the best return on their online advertising investment. Being at the top of search results can mean more traffic and increased business, and these tips are sure to move your business in that direction.
This is a guest post from Sarah Peterson. Sarah writes for a website that advises business owners on customer service software. She thinks it’s essential for a business to take the time to improve the visitor experience of their website, so sales aren’t lost and customers are satisfied.